What are the conditions for socks to be able to make masah on them?
After thoroughly studying the inherent qualities of leather socks, our illustrious Fuqaha suggest that non-leather socks should resemble leather socks in the following:
- They should entirely cover both the ankles.
- Both socks should independently be free from holes to the extent of three small toes.
- They should be durable enough that a person can walk with the sock for three miles without them tearing.
- The socks should remain on the leg without it being tied or fastened.
- They should be such that water does not seep through them when water is poured over them.
[Al Mabsoot lil Sarakhsi (1/18, 184 Dar al Fikr), Al Muheet al Burhani (1/343, Al Majlis al Ilmi), Ahkam al Quran lil Jassaas (3/440, Dar al Kutub al Ilmiyyah), Tuhfa al Mulook (1/33, Dar al Bashaair al Islamiyyah), Majma al Anhur (1/75, Dar al kutub al Ilmiyyah), Al Bahr ar raaiq (1/191, 192 Dar al Ma’rifah), Tabyeen al haqaaiq (1/52 Dar al kutub al Ilmiyyah), Al Fatawa al Hindiyyah (1/32, Dar al fikr), Ad Dur al Mukhtaar (1/269, Dar al fikr), Tuhfa al Ahwadhi (1/278, Dar al kutub al Ilmiyyah), Al Maslak adh Dhaki (1/29, Wajidi Publishers), Fatawa Mahmoodiyyah (5/195, Farooqiyyah), Fatawa Haqqaniyyah (2/216, Dar al Uloom Haqqaniyyah), Kifayah al Mufti (2/321), Farouqiyyah, Fatawa Darul Uloom Zakariyyah (1/509-5516, Zam Zam Publishers)]